Denali National Park – Kantishna Mining District
With Mt. McKinley as a magnificent, three-mile high backdrop and a floor of spruce, aspen and birch, Denali National Park and Preserve is a truly special place. Established in 1917, it was the first national park supported by local gold miners. In exchange for their support, miners were allowed to continue mining in the Kantishna Hills, just northwest of the mountain. More recently, a federal injunction halting mining within the park instigated the likely sale, subdivision and resort development for many of the old mining claims. Such development would result in loss of invaluable natural beauty and recreation opportunities as well as precious habitat for local grizzly bear, caribou, wolves, Dall sheep and moose. Partnering with the National Park Service, who listed the area as their number-one Alaska acquisition priority, TPL took action to protect 350 acres of mining claims and convey the property to Denali National Park and Preserve.