Florida Forever Coalition Praises Renewal of Landmark Land Buying Program
TALLAHASSEE, 4/20/2008: The more than 160 organizational members of the Florida Forever Coalition today applauded the Florida Legislature for its passage of Senate Bill 542, which reauthorizes the Florida Forever Program for 10 years at $300 million annually.
The Florida House of Representatives passed the bill unanimously today, and the Senate passed it unanimously on April 23.
“The Florida Forever Coalition applauds the vision and the leadership of the Florida Senate and House in continuing our state’s investment in Florida Forever,” stated the Coalition. “Florida Forever protects the most special places in Florida, the rivers, lakes, parks, and quiet natural areas that will be known, used, and loved by our children and grandchildren.”
Governor Crist is expected to sign the bill. The major provisions of the bill:
- Extend Florida Forever for ten years,
- Authorize the annual sale of bonds and raises the ceiling to $5.3 billion,
- Adds funding for the protection of working ranch and timber lands and of working waterfronts.
The Coalition specifically applauded the leadership of:
- Senate President Ken Pruitt
- Senator Burt Saunders
- Representative Stan Mayfield
- Representative Will Kendrick
- Senator Lisa Carlton
- Senator JD Alexander
- House Speaker Marco Rubio
- Representative Ray Sansom
Funding for Florida Forever
The pending $65 billion State budget for next year – the General Appropriations Act — allocates $300 million to Florida Forever. Funds come from the sale of bonds.
Florida Forever Coalition Web Site: www.supportfloridaforever.org