The Trust for Public Land's Conservation Finance Program provides professional, technical assistance services to state and local government executives, legislatures, and public agencies that need to research and evaluate conservation finance options. TPL's pragmatic approach focuses on researching and developing legislative and ballot measures that reflect public priorities, often evaluated through public opinion surveys.
Technical assistance services include:
- Feasibility research: TPL explores funding and ballot measure options and evaluates their legal, fiscal, and political constraints.
- Public opinion surveys: TPL manages surveys by expert polling firms to gauge voter support for alternative funding methods and measure types.
- Program recommendations: TPL provides models and recommendations for operating conservation programs.
- Measure design: For ballot measures, TPL recommends the optimal funding method, amount of funding, election timing, and ballot language. For legislative measures, TPL recommends funding methods and amount, as well as advising on program design.
- Legislative support: TPL's services include bill drafting, expert testimony, and designing legislative strategies.