The Hyde family bought this farm on the Chattahoochee River in the 1920s, and J.C. Hyde, the last of the family, farmed it until he was in his 90s, plowing by hand with the assistance of his stalwart mule, Nell, even as the land around the farm was consumed by urban sprawl.
This 485-acre property buffers 1.4 miles of the Chattahoochee River and served for more than a century as the "gateway" to Carroll County.
This park was the site of a series of engagements known as the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain and the Battle of Kolb's Farm, and was named one of "America's Most Endangered Civil War Battlefields" by the Civil War Preservation Trust.
Utah's five national parks and seven national monuments define the beauty and grandeur of the state.
Each year, tens of thousands of visitors come to this historic
Santuario, or chapel, in the village of Chimayo 40 miles north of Santa
Each year, more than one million people visit George Washington's historic Mount Vernon Estate, which he acquired in 1754 in large part for its superb view across the Potomac River into Maryland.
The Trust for Public Land led the effort to protect Sterling Forge, adding several acres to those already saved in New York's Sterling Forest State Park and helping to ensure clean drinking water, protect critical wetlands and wildlife habitat, and enhance access for recreation.
TPL helped conserve Torne Mountain in Harriman State Park, New York, land that includes Ramapo River basin, which provides drinking water for two million people in Rockland County and northern New Jersey, and is the site where according to legend, legend, General George Washington lost his watch on while spying on British troops during the American Revolution.
Firing some of the first shots of the American Civil War, Citadel cadets launched an attack on the Union supply steamer Star of the West from the shores of Morris Island on January 9, 1861.
TPL purchased the 125-acre Cecil tract—home to the endangered White Irisette—on White Oak Mountain property in 2007 with the help of a generous grant from the North Carolina Natural Heritage Trust Fund (NHTF).