Farms and ranches
Established in 1943, Griggs Farm was the place to go in Billerica for spring tomato plants or fall pumpkins. But by the 1990s the farm had been hemmed in by retail malls as the town's character grew more suburban.
With help from The Trust for Public Land, a scrappy group of volunteers pioneers a new way to support community agriculture.
Protecting the land and livelihood of the Nelson family, fifth generation ranchers in rural Washington.
An agricultural enclave in the southwest corner of Connecticut, the village of Southbury, and the surrounding countryside were author and columnist Gladys Taber's writerly muses.
This spectacular valley in south-central Colorado is one of the last remaining places where ranching is still the main way of life. Since 2000, we have spearheaded an ambitious and collaborative program to preserve the beauty and way of life in the Wet Mountain Valley.
In late 2008, TPL worked with the Triangle Land Conservancy to purchase Riverwalk, 329 acres at the juncture of the Neuse River and Marks Creek.
Established in 1956, Arcata's community forest is the oldest city-owned community forest west of the Rockies.
The protection of this inholding in the Frank Church—River of Return Wilderness secures public recreational access to the Middle Fork of the Salmon, prevents incompatible development, and protects important riparian habitat.
The Trust for Public Land worked with the Millstone Trails Association and the Town of Barre to create a new community forest with 70-miles of heart-pounding mountain biking trails for the Town of Barre out of 355 acres of former quarry land.
The scenic High Country Ranch offers dramatic views and richly diverse habitat. But at 11,655 acres, this property in the Rio Vallecitos watershed is at high risk of development.