Originally 450 acres in total, the land was purchased by L.V. Keith in 1906 as a homestead for his soon-to-be bride. Since then, four generations of Keiths have prospered here, growing tobacco, corn, and soybeans. Over the years, some of the land became part of the Falls Lake Reservoir. More recently, the growth of the region made the property a priority for both water quality protection and lake-view residential lots. Preserving the land's wilderness feeling was the goal of the Keith family when they sold their 200-acre farm to The Trust for Public Land in 2008. And they've done just that, assuring residents of the City of Raleigh both a peaceful place to hike and a continued supply of safe drinking water.