Walden, or Life in the Woods, Henry David Thoreau's account of his two years at Walden Pond, became the classic American statement on the powers of straight thinking, simple living, independence, and wild retreat.
In 1775, frontiersman Daniel Boone widened a Native American path through a natural break in the central Appalachian Mountains known as Cumberland Gap. As many as 300,000 settlers journeyed westward through the gap to the new frontiers of Kentucky and the... Read more
In 2010, TPL managed the acquisition of 84-acre Kiket Island, a privately owned island just east of La Conner that almost became a nuclear power plant in the 1970s. For nearly three decades, the land remained almost untouched by the next buyer who built... Read more
In 1850, 5,000 members of the Shaker religion lived in communal villages from Maine to Ohio. Today the last practicing Shakers reside at 1,700-acre Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village, Forest and Farm located 20 miles north of Portland, Maine.
A short drive from Cleveland and Akron, the Cuyahoga Valley National Park conserves the Cuyahoga River valley and historic canal and railroad corridors in Summit and Cuyahoga counties.
Located between Cleveland and Akron, the 20,000-seat Richfield Coliseum was the home of the Cavaliers professional basketball team for twenty years and hosted more than 200 events annually.
The 90-acre Gateway Property contains the longest natural stretch of the Cuyahoga River within the boundaries of the Cuyahoga Valley National Park, providing important wildlife habitat and resource protection.
In 1832 the Ohio & Erie Canal established a transportation link between Lake Erie and the Ohio River. This new route transformed Ohio into an economic powerhouse, as Cleveland and Akron became worldwide centers of industry and commerce.
The inspiration for a generation of American impressionist painters, J. Alden Weir's farm was subdivided for housing development in the late 1980s.
Between 2001-2006, The Trust for Public Land led the effort to transform a 27-acre industrial site located in St. Paul's East Side into a park and nature sanctuary in honor of late Congressman Bruce Vento.