Northern California Associate Director of Philanthropy
The Associate Director of Philanthropy contributes to The Trust for Public Land’s annual operating needs in California and the success of the organization’s multi-year comprehensive Power of Place Campaign. As a member of the California-based philanthropy team, the Associate Director of Philanthropy carries a mixed portfolio with an emphasis on mid-level and major gift individual prospects and donors in Northern California. The Associate Director of Philanthropy reports to the California Director of Philanthropy. This position is located in our San Francisco office.
- 65% Relationship Manager: Realize annual fundraising metric for position, contribute to annual revenue goal for California, and support overall goals of the organization’s multi-year comprehensive campaign. Manage a portfolio of approximately 100 - 120 donors and prospects with an emphasis on mid to major gift individual donors and prospects in Northern California. Foster a greater sense of engagement and community of support among existing and new donors in Northern California. Focus includes the following: donor identification, strategy development, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship. Conduct donor visits regularly and often. Make direct solicitations and close gifts. Write solicitation letters and proposals. Track and meet deadlines. Coordinate and implement donor field trips, events, and recognition as needed. Maintain donor records in database. Engage other staff members and volunteers in fundraising efforts as appropriate and necessary.
- 15% Program Liaison: Serve as philanthropy point person for programs in Northern California, both the natural lands and urban work of The Trust for Public Land. Bring leadership to the philanthropic aspects of these programs, including the following: develop annual philanthropy revenue goals, identify gift and campaign opportunities, manage fundraising campaigns, create successful partnerships with program staff, and keep Director of Philanthropy and philanthropy colleagues informed of key issues and opportunities.
- 10% Volunteer Coordination: Work with Director of Philanthropy to sustain and grow volunteer engagement with the organization, including identifying and recruiting new volunteers in Northern California, providing support and guidance for fundraising activities of volunteers, , and serving as the relationship manager of specific volunteers as assigned.
- 5% Planned Giving: Identify potential planned giving donors, develop cultivation and solicitation strategies, implement and maintain planned gift tracking system. Inform planned giving department of activities and engage Director of Planned Giving as needed.
- 5% Other duties as assigned or required.
- Minimum six years of fundraising experience, including making major gift solicitations.
- Knowledge of and experience with California philanthropic community, specifically Bay Area and Northern California.
- Experience working with volunteers desired.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively as a member of a team, ensuring close coordination and integration with other staff members.
- Demonstrated ability to accept and apply feedback, follow leadership and align with organizational decisions.
- Self-motivated; able to multi-task with excellent attention to detail and deadlines; and can perform successfully without regular supervision.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, along with organizational skills.
- Computer proficiency with various Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Proficiency with complex databases or donor management software a plus.
- Understands The Trust for Public Land’s gift acceptance policies and ensures ethical compliance with fundraising best practices, as defined by the Association for Fundraising Professionals. High integrity and commitment to personal and professional excellence.
- Interest and commitment to The Trust forPublicLand’s mission.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Willingness to work flexible hours.
- Willingness to travel occasionally.
Please apply online.