Newark Parks for People Program Manager
The Newark Parks for People Program Manager is responsible for managing the design and construction of parks and playgrounds in Newark, New Jersey in partnership with the City of Newark, Newark Public Schools, and other local partners. He/She will organize community-led participatory design sessions and manage outside consultants and contractors throughout the design and construction process. He/She will also participate in the development and implementation of public/private stewardship models to optimize the maintenance, programming and use of completed sites. Critical aspects of the position involve managing a community engagement process with a particular focus on involving local stakeholders in both site design and stewardship as well as effective, active oversight of design and construction contracts.
- 60% - Manage all aspects of the park/playground development process including oversight of environmental engineers, design consultants, and construction contractors. The Newark Parks for People Program Manager will take primary responsibility for project schedules, project budgets, and day-to-day project oversight.
- 20% - Support the Program Director and other local staff in the implementation of stewardship plans to increase public agency and community capacity for park and playground maintenance and operations. Working with the Program Director, the Program Manager will develop relationships with school and city representatives, create agency staff and community collaborations to implement stewardship tasks, and engage community volunteers in park cleanup and other programs/events.
- 10% - Support Program Director in the development of plans for the growth of the program.
- 5% - Work with other urban programs and staff in the organization's other offices to help advance urban park projects.
- 5% - Other administrative tasks, other relevant duties as necessary.
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of three years of experience in the field of community development or urban design are required
- Master's degree in Architecture, Landscape Architecture, Urban Planning, and/or certification in construction management is highly desirable.
- Experience in design and construction management, including oversight of design and construction professionals, budgets, and project schedules.
- Experience in overseeing environmental assessment and remediation, as part of overall site development projects is preferred.
- Experience orchestrating a collaborative design process, involving community members, public agencies and other community stakeholders.
- Prior work experience with diverse stakeholder groups is required.
- Experience in urban park development and/or management is preferred.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills necessary.
Please apply online.