California Senior Public Grants Manager
The Senior Public Grants Manager is responsible for conducting the full range of activities related to securing public funding for the Trust for Public Land’s California State Office. The Senior Public Grants Manager manages the Public Grants program, including grant research, preparation of grant proposals, managing contractors, providing funding strategy, and designing and implementing key programmatic efforts to educate project staff and leadership on public funding opportunities and to increase public funding for the organization. A key function of this position is forging and fostering relationships with public agency partners. The Senior Public Grants Manager reports to the Director of Government Affairs and works closely with project staff in California, as well as with key senior staff in other departments, including Finance, Legal and Federal Affairs.
- Manage activities of the Public Grants Program in support of our fundraising efforts, including assessing public grant financing needs, identifying appropriate funding programs, and securing grant funding.
- Identify new sources of funding for grant applications, particularly for significant opportunities to solidify partnerships with federal and state agencies.
- Develop and write high quality grant applications.
- Conduct interdepartmental meetings with appropriate staff to identify and prioritize project needs and to coordinate, research, and delegate grant preparation assignments.
- Manage all aspects of the grant proposal timeline from submissions, special requirements during review period, and securing of grant agreements in coordination with Legal.
- Develop and maintain close relationships with senior grant administrators at funding agencies.
- Work with public agency partners to develop grant programs and guidelines.
- Define, recommend, and implement funding strategies by providing informed timely advice and strategic information on funding opportunities, requirements, and procedures.
- Integrate Public Grants Program with the organization's Project, Legislative, Federal Affairs, and Development programs and priorities.
- Manage the Public Grants Program by organizing team retreats with other Government Affairs staff, conducting weekly and monthly team meetings, assessing the team’s constraints and resources ongoing and responding appropriately, and managing systems.
- Maintain up-to-date intranet database of grant information, including a calendar of grant deadlines, summary of grant program requirements, and research aides.
- With the Grants Management Team, conduct workshops and training courses to educate staff and leadership on funding opportunities.
- Maintain knowledge of state and federal legislation as pertains to public funding for the California State Office.
- Make presentations at public agencies in support of funding requests.
- Travel periodically to field offices.
- Bachelor’s degree required. Masters preferred.
- Minimum 5 years experience in an equivalent position.
- Superior written and oral communications skills. Excellent organizational skills.
- Proficient with computers and spreadsheet/word processing applications.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Creative and independent worker.
- Ability to use good judgment, take initiative, and make recommendations to solve problems.
- Ability to establish professional relations with other departments and various outside agencies.
Please apply online.